There’s a ton of new stuff in Fortnite today. Even though Halloween is ten days away, the game has already launched its annual “Fortnitemares” event, and this time around it’s much different than from previous years.
Instead of battling zombie-like creatures, this year Epic Games has introduced Shadows, a legion of undead spooks that fight for a vengeful Midas—hence the event’s title, Midas’ Revenge.
The update brings new challenges, free rewards and a major—and majorly spooky—overhaul to the game, as well as some map changes.
These changes include:
- The Authority is now The Ruins where you’ll find a new version of Midas plus a bunch of Ghost Henchmen. It’s also more, uh, ruined than before.
- The map is covered in fog and it’s super dark compared to normal. The fog makes it harder to see other players, including Shadows.
- Halloween decorations are everywhere, including giant spiders, jack-o-lanterns and much more.
- You can find candy everywhere, typically outside houses.
- New Witch Shacks can now be found around the map.
Alongside map changes, Epic v buck generator Games has introduced a bunch of new skins and some updated skin styles for skins you might already own. The new Halloween skins are pretty sweet.Recommended For You
- ‘Fortnite’ Halloween Event Leaked Challenges And Rewards
- CDC: How Indoor Sports Like Ice Hockey Can Become Covid-19 Coronavirus Outbreaks
- Here Are All Fortnite’s Leaked ‘Fortnitemares’ Halloween Skins
Weapon Changes and New Items
PROMOTEDT-Mobile BRANDVOICE | Paid ProgramConversational AI: 8 Tips To Make It Work For Your EnterpriseCivic Nation BRANDVOICE | Paid ProgramHow Out For Justice Helped Expand Voting Access For ALL
The Pumpkin Launcher is also back, and you can find it by killing Ghost Henchmen at The Ruins as it’s the only weapon they now use. You can also find Witch’s Brooms which allow you to fly around the map. They’re in barrels outside of Witch Shacks.
You can also find crossbows, though I haven’t come across one of these yet. In past Fortnitemares events, the crossbow was a surefire way to take down zombies. Not sure how well it works on Shadows.
Epic has also vaulted a weapon introduced not that long ago: The Charge Shotgun. This was never my favorite shotgun, so I’m not really too beat up about it going away.
This year, instead of battling zombies, you have a new foe: Shadows. The twist? You become the shadows. It’s similar, in some ways, to Warzone’s new Zombies Royale. In that mode, when you die you become a zombie and can take out the living. In Fortnite’s new mode, when you die you become a shadow.
You can zip through walls, attack enemy players with your claws and consume any items you come across to replenish health. You can’t shoot guns or build, however. I’ve played a bit and it’s pretty fun and a nice change from the last few iterations of this event.
The Fortnitemares event will introduce new challenges ahead of Halloween. There are three out now and several more that release in a week. The ones available right away are:
- Become a Shadow
- Travel 100 meters on a Witch Broom
- Eat Candy